HOW TO: Install & configure QuickCAST Server?
This section describes how to install QuickCAST. Before installation, be sure to shut down all programs that are running.
Minimum System Requirements:
- Windows 7, 8.1, 10 or Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019 OS
- Intel Atom Processor
- 2gb RAM
- 32 GB Disk Space
- 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Standard System System Requirements:
- Windows 10 or Server 2012, 2016 OS
- Intel i5 or i7 Processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 250 GB Disk Space
- 1GB Ethernet Adapter
1GB Network Switch + Cables
1. Create a Windows user: qcusr with the password: ultrax (all lowercase)
2. Be sure to provide/grant this user administrative rights.
3. It is highly recommended for QuickCAST Server to be run under this Windows user. The remaining of the setup instructions below assumes using qcusr as the primary user.
4. Change the computer name to uxsvr
a) Right click My Computer then Properties
a) Click the computer name tab
b) Click the CHANGE button
c) Change current name to uxsvr
5. Windows will prompt to restart the computer. Click Reboot later.
6. Share the UXD folder.
a) Open cmd prompt
b) type: net share uxd=C:\uxd
c) Modify the Access Control List using CACLS
type: cacls c:\uxd /T /E /G qcusr:C
7. To install QuickCAST from local files stored on the Ultra-X QuickCAST Server USB license dongle, continue reading. If you are installing using files that were downloaded, skip to step#10 below:
8. Insert the Ultra-X QuickCAST Server USB license dongle (Black Square box)
9. Copy all of the folders on the root of the USB drive to the root of your c:\ drive.
10. To install QuickCAST from files downloaded:
Be sure the Ultra-X QuickCAST Server USB license dongle is inserted (Black Square box)
11. Launch the QCServer-vX.XX.XX.exe setup file.
12. If you were given a license file separately, copy the license file to the c:\qcserver folder
13. Run the uxdsource_x.xx.xx.exe self-extracting package. This will setup the c:\uxd folder with all the deployment configuration files and images.
14. If provided, run the MFiles Patch.
15. Next, run the MFiles Stage 2 Patch
16. Next, run the Base Image Patch
17. Lastly, run the Share-Folder.CMD from command line. This will setup and share all the additional report folders, including the c:\uxd folder.
18. It is recommended to restart the system to apply the new changes.
Standard Default Configuration
QuickCAST automatically discovers Clients that are on the same network segment (or IP subnet). This means that the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway that appears in the Windows IP Configuration should match the one entered while using QuickCAST.
Set a Static IP
1. Click the Windows Start button then click Settings
2. Click CHANGE ADAPTER OPTIONS
3. From the Network Connections window, right-click the chosen Ethernet Adapter and click Properties
4. Next, on the Ethernet Properties window, click Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the properties button.
5. Set the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway as shown in the image below:
6. Click OK on all Windows to apply the new settings.
1. Launch QuickCAST by clicking on the c:\QCServer\qcclient.exe or the desktop icon marked QuickCAST Server
2. A prompt will display advising that service is not installed. Click YES to install the service.
2B. You may get a second prompt advising for file location of the service. Navigate to c:\qcserver\qcservice.exe and then click OK.
3. Wait up to 30 seconds for the service to start. (On Windows 7, this may take up to 5 minutes)
The server status LED will change to green and the text will change to Online when the service is started.
4. Click the CONFIG button
5. Copy the DHCP settings from the image below
DHCP Option Tab
The DHCP option tab is used to specify the IP deployment pool, server IP & subnet mask and more.
- Network Adapter Interface- Select a Network adapter from the drop down list.
- First (Start) Address Pool- Specifies the IP address for the very first UUT(Unit Under Test).
- Last (Finish) Address Pool- Specifies the IP address for the very last UUT(Unit Under Test).
- Mask- Specifies the IP address for the subnet mask.
- TFTP Server IP- Specifies the IP address for the deployment server. The Server and UUT IP address must be on the same subnet.
- Gateway IP- Specifies the IP address for gateway.
TFTP Option Tab
Copy the TFTP settings from the image below
This tab enables the HTTP service module.
Default Root Directory- Select the c:\uxd folder
Port- Be sure to enter 8080
MIME Type: Be sure to add as *.*
This tab enables the NFS service module used for Ultra-X UAV Bootable Malware Scanner module.
Default Root Directory- Select the c:\uxd folder
Make sure to select the “Enabled” checkbox
Boot Order Tab
This tab option menu specifies the boot sequence and also specifies whether the image being deployed is UEFI or legacy compatible.
For BIOS Legacy Menu:
- Click the Add button then navigate to c:\uxd\undionly.kpxe and click OK button. This will add the legacy boot menu which includes deployment options for Diagnostics, Malware Scanning, Windows Installation, Clonezilla and more.
For EFI Diagnostics Menu:
- Click the Add button then navigate to c:\uxd\iPXE.EFI and click the ok button
- Be sure to select the checkbox under UEFI column to identify that the image is UEFI.
Copy the settings from the image below
This option menu specifies additional adv. options.
The most important option to configure in this menu is the Log directory path and Reports Directory path.
The log directory path is where the QUICKCAST.LOG will be stored. Please place in c:\qcserver folder.
6. Once the Settings have been made, Click the OK button
Wait up to 30 seconds for the service(s) to start. The server status LED will change to green and the text will change to Online when the service is started and ready to deploy.
7. It is suggested to change firewall settings to allow QuickCAST Server to deploy on both PRIVATE and PUBLIC network profiles.
7. You may proceed to boot systems via network.